Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Home Sweet Home



After 18 months of living in their RV, my parents finally have a real house again. They planned on this "temporary" living situation for a few months between the time they sold their house and finished construction on a new house. Sure it's a nice RV but it is typically reserved for fun with the Grandkids, vacations and tailgating. They traveled around a bit in the beginning including a visit to see us - it was an adventure, a chapter, something to say you did. In the beginning, my Mom even put up with my lame Chris*Farley "living in a van down by the river" jokes.

Hurricane Katrina turned this temporary situation into an 18 month ordeal. Through it all, they handled it amazingly well. Considering many in the area still have no place to live, I guess it was tough to complain. I hope if Jon and I had to suddenly leave our home and live in a 38 ft trailer for a year and a half, we could survive it like they did. And it wasn't just any 18 months. Last summer, one of my Mom's best friends passed away, a couple of months later the hurricane wiped out their town and many homes of family and friends, my Mom's brother passed away in January and we had a scare with my Dad's heart in February. Last Thursday they were finally able to close on their new house. I am thrilled for them. They had some furniture delivered yesterday and the movers were coming today to move their stuff out of storage. It is still unknown how long they will stay in that area. It's not an easy place to live right now. Of course I have a not so secret plan which involves them moving to Texas but I don't want to say much yet - I don't want to jinx anything. So for now, it's Home Sweet Home.

3 comments:

glo said...

Glad to hear some good news for Mom and dad. I am sure it has been a pretty long haul in an RV. How exciting though a brand new home, and yet after the hurricane I am sure that too has its share of concern about future storms etc. For now though a very happy ending and that is all good!!!

Johnny said...

You shoulda listed how many years they've been together. That might help explain the ability to live in tight quarters.

Patience of a saint, it must be.

Anonymous said...

I am so very happy for your folks. A new house is welcome anytime, but especially after all they have been thru.