Tuesday, May 23, 2006

No Vacancy

I am sure everyone has been on the edge of their seats and have not slept waiting for another update on the baby birds. They actually left the nest about a week ago. A couple of days before they flew away, they were quite active so I knew it was a matter of time. Here is the last picture that I took of the two of them.


Then one morning, one of them flew away and within an hour the other was gone.

However, we are not suffering from empty nest syndrome. The same day that these cuties flew the nest, another Mama Dove moved right in. Just like last time, Daddy Dove (I assume) helped "build the nest". Of course he got off easy since he chose a pre-built rather than new construction. They did make a few modifications and upgrades which Jon was quite happy about since he questioned the quality of the first nest from the beginning. Within a day the new dove was there to stay. And just like last time, no sign of Daddy Dove since the nest modifications were complete. Couldn't he visit once in a while, bring her a worm, something!!!! As far as I can tell, she has barely moved in almost a week.

I'm going to have to consider catching and tagging these birds. The same day the previous occupants flew the nest, someone else moves in??? How does that happen? Were they out scouting for a place to build a nest and just happened upon a vacancy? Is there a 1 800 reservation number for my back patio nest that I don't know about?

2 comments:

glo said...

Cute!!! You two have obviously gone to the birds!!!

Sandra said...

LOL - you are too funny! Thanks for the day brightener!