Tuesday, September 08, 2009

For Those Yet To Travel - Part Two

As I was giving LuLu her bottle last night, I realized how far we have come. We all hear over and over again that the caretakers in China have probably cut a larger hole in the bottle's nipple. Most packing lists include several nipples and something to cut the hole larger. Even though I had heard this for over three years, I had no idea just how big the hole would be.

When we received LuLu, we also received two boxes of the formula and a bottle that she was using. If I had not seen the nipple myself, I would never have realized how big they make the hole. About one third of the nipple was gone. No sucking required as with a hole that big, the contents would literally pour out.

We immediately went to a smaller hole. Even with that, she would not suck but would just move her tongue around to get something out. We have gradually worked our way to a slightly modified fast flow nipple. In the last couple of days, she has also been drinking out of a straw style sippy cup. She is so proud of herself when she is successful with that cup.

I know this was our experience and yours may be different but I thought I would mention just how big of a nipple your child may be used to. If I had not seen it myself, I would never have guessed.

Here she is with her new sippy.


2 comments:

Monica said...

Such a cutie!

You are absolutely right about that & I feel that is what contributed to Katie's oral sensory issues. The other thing that was shocking for me was that Katie would not take a bottle unless it was HOT. We gradually weaned her down to lukewarm over a period of 2 months...I couldn't believe it took that long. My mother thought I was crazy with the bottles, but Katie refused to drink if it wasn't hot enough.

Roberta said...

Thank you for sharing. We are LID 5-18-06 and love reading BTDT info. Great blog, fun to read.
Roberta