Friday, June 02, 2006

Day 2. Trails 2. Injuries 1(if you only count flesh wounds). Flat Tires 1

After our 150 degrees noon start on Saturday, we decided to get an early start on Sunday. That really wasn't too hard since we were asleep by 9pm Saturday night thanks to Trail #1. We received a little local advice on some trails from our waiter while enjoying our well deserved dinner and Margaritas Saturday night. It is a good thing we got this advice since Sunday morning, we realized that we lost our Mountain Biking book - I swear I did not throw it over a cliff.

Our plan was to do a longer but nice, easy and partially paved trail. Sweet. Our waiter did however, warn us that this trail connects with a much more intense trail so be sure to stay on the main path. Right. First few miles was great. The trail was crowded which was fine with me because that actually slows Jon down to a much more manageable pace. Then all of a sudden, I notice there aren't many people on the trail. Next thing I know, we are headed down a hill of boulders measuring half my size. Much to my surprise Jon was the first to get a flesh wound on trail #2. Of course, his injury was attributed more to his poor shoe choice than his skills but at least I wasn't the only one injured. Misery does love company.

(Imagine a picture of Jon's bleeding ankle here. Blogger is not letting me upload pictures.)

Trail #2 however, did leave me with several lovely bruises. We stuck with the scary trail for a couple of miles and then headed back to the nice trail. I will say that Jon did a great job of announcing the trail obstacles. "Slight uphill coming up." "Tight squeeze ahead" "Low tree limb" "Loose rock" "Steep downhill cliff of huge boulders". Unfortunately, he was usually so far ahead of me that I couldn't hear him or I was dealing with something he did not feel was worthy of an announcement.

Jon: "Steep hill coming up"
Me: "OK, as soon as I free myself from between this boulder and my bike, I'll be sure to watch out for it. Thanks."
Jon: "You ok back there"
Me: "Oh yeah, doing great"

We rode for 2.5 hours but that did include a much deserved swim break.

Later that afternoon, we headed back to another part of the nice trail. No falls, no injuries to report. After a few miles, Jon however got a flat tire so we decided to call it a day. I would be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat relieved about that decision.

2 comments:

glo said...

Well this all sounds like so much fun. Can I come next time. LOL

Geesh you guys, have fun but be safe!!!

Julie said...

Yes, definately sounds like a ton of fun. What with the bleeding and the boulders, what's not to enjoy? Real athletes just suck it up when they get injured. Luckily I'm not a real athlete ... :o)