Since the day my niece Ivy found out about the adoption, she has been asking what we are going to name our daughter. The answer "we haven't decided yet" doesn't sit well with Ivy. It never has. I have had more than one phone conversation with Ivy that went something like this:
Ivy: So, have you decided what you are going to name your baby
Me: No, not yet
Ivy: Hmmmm (said in a very disappointed tone)
Occasionally, she will tell me about someone who just had a baby and suggest the name that they used. Our inadequacy to decide on a name is really getting to Ivy.
When I was home for Mother's Day, I was sitting next to Ivy on the way home from church. Apparently the baby name topic was on her mind. She turns to me and suggests that when we get to her house, we get out all of her babies. She would tell me each of their names and maybe one of those names would work. I told her that sounded like a good idea. Now I have to tell you that Ivy has LOTS of babies. In fact, we just discovered recently that she actually runs a daycare out of her bedroom called "Lots of Babies Daycare". Who knew?
So, as soon as we got to her house she went to her room and with the help of my mom, she separated all the girl babies from the boy babies. This is when we discovered that her baby "Candy" is actually a boy. Again, who knew? (For the record, we've had a boy name picked out forever. It's the girl name that we are stuck on.)
Then she brings me in her room and one by one she points to them and tells me each of their names. She also suggested that I get a piece of paper so I can write them down.
(Tried posting a picture of the list here but blogger isn't letting me post pictures. Is it just me?)
Here are the names:
Shoo Shoo
Gi Gi
Fay Fay
Butterfly
Sick Baby (as soon as Ivy tells me the name, the looks at me and says "But I don't think you want to name your baby that.") "Probably not" I tell her.
Sleepy
Big Baby
Lu Lu
Santa (yes, Candy is a boy and Santa is a girl)
Berry
Carseat Baby (which had to be scratched from the list because all of a sudden Ivy remembered that carseat baby is a boy.)
I gently told Ivy that I wasn't sure any of these names were going to work but I told her that until we decide on her "real" name, we will call her Lu Lu. So for now, it's Lu Lu. And Ivy's satisfied....at least for now.
Saturday, June 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Aw come on, those are some excellent suggestions there! What's wrong with Berry? It sounds very celebrity. I'm voting for Berry. Do I need to call Ivy and tell her my vote? ;-)
OH Oh I think you have really started something here. Lu LU is gonna stick no matter what you call your girl. She is going to be a "Real Lu Lu" as far as your niece is concerned. Cute story.
Hee, hee, that is so cute!! In French, Lulu means little ponytails - the kind little girls wear.
Actually, I think Ivy is a rather cool name - maybe she would like the name Poison?
LuLu is good, too bad Carseat Baby was a boy.
Monica
I thought Sleepy was kinda cute! (reminded me of the dwarfs!) LuLu is a fine suggestion, at least it'll keep Ivy off your back for a little longer!
(PS, my friend named her little girl Ivy! I've never heard of another one, til now! My friend has 5 kids - Lilly, Sidney, Ivy, Bonnie & Mary...there's afew more names for you to choose from!!!)
Post a Comment