Sunday, September 03, 2006

Dinner With Andree'

I was out of town AGAIN last week, this time in Seattle. However, I got to spend a little time with my friend Andree' - totally took the sting out of being on the road for the fourth week in a row!!! Gosh it was so great to see her. I met Andree' in 1987 when we were both fresh out of college. Is it really possible that I am old enough to have been friends with someone for almost 20 years that I met as an adult??? Can't be.

It was a great visit although too short. I spent the night at her house Thursday night and then left for the airport around 1:30 Friday afternoon. She and her husband have four beautiful (and very entertaining) kids which have grown so much since I last saw them.

I couldn't wait to hear about the 60 mile 3 day that Andree' had just completed. OH MY GOSH. It's hard enough to wrap my head around walking 60 miles. I had not even considered the entire element of sleeping in a tent (which you set up yourself) for two nights and using port-a-potties!!!!! That adds an entire dimension of discomfort that I had never even considered. I guess I imagined that after walking 20 miles, I would be hanging out at the Four Seasons recharging for the next day. Apparently not. I totally admired her for doing this before but now I am just in awe. Seriously if you know ANYONE participating in one of these events, support them any way you can. Donate money, watch their kids while they train, give them pep talks, take a walk with them while they train, whatever you can do. The Seattle team raised over 6.8 million dollars towards breast cancer research. WALK ON!!!!

1 comment:

C's Mom said...

Very cool!

Although I, too, canot wrap my head around sixty miles. Youch!!!