Saturday, March 18, 2006
Mama Dove Is Back
For the third spring in a row, we have a Dove that has made a nest on our back patio. There is a potters bench on the patio and the nest is built on the top shelf. In the exact same spot. It's right by our back kitchen window and right next to the back door. The first year, we had baby doves that hatched. Last year, she stayed forever but no eggs. I really wasn't that disappointed because it meant that I wasn't the only infertile one around here. Twisted but true. This year I am hoping for baby birds!!!! I have heard/read that it is either the same dove that returns or the babies that were hatched there. Personally I haven't caught and tagged any of these birds so I can't confirm. We just noticed her yesterday and the nest is under construction. She stays there and another bird (Daddy Dove I assume) keeps returning with building materials. I've been sitting here drinking coffee and watching them. When he shows up with something, she will move to the side, get the new addition situated, get back to her spot and off he goes. I would try to snap a picture but don't want to scare her away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Very cool! I don't know if you have a dog, but my girlfriend fills her suet feeder (like a little cage that you can find in any home depot) with brushed dog hair and the birds love it for building their nests! Just a thought.
That is so cool! My parents had a birds nest outside the door of their summer home & we didn't use the front door (and the deck) for 2 weeks when the babies were hatched.
Say hi to your Mom & thanks for thinking of us! And definitely let me know when you come to NY I would love to meet you in person.
Monica
How neat.. I usuallly get a moma dove that builds in my hanging basket. Now they are cute and all, but the mess they leave in my basket kills my plant and so I am now placing all sorts of fake turtles, squirrels etc. in my hanging baskets to keep moma dove out... I have some other great spots for nesting... Not my hanging baskets.. I might enjoy them more if it wasn't killing my plant.
Post a Comment