Being the Mountain Bike novice that I am , Jon let me choose the first trail that we would "conquer". Over a very leisurely breakfast Saturday morning, I started flipping through the pages of our Texas Mountain Biking book. As soon as I found a trail within close proximity and was listed as a level one, I was done. I didn't need to look any further. Let's face it, 98% of my cycling experience has been on some type of smooth, paved surface. And the other 2% was me struggling to get to the nearest smooth, paved surface. The fact that this trail was listed as "family friendly" was an added bonus.
As soon as we finished up our leisurely breakfast, loaded up on water and found our way to the trail it was around noon and about 150 degrees. Glad we got an early start.
I knew I would be struggling to keep up with Jon but I was feeling pretty confident considering this trail was listed as "family friendly". OH MY GOSH. Who's family are they talking about?????? Maybe Mr. Lance Tour de France Armstrong's family - but not this family!!!!!!
I swear, 15 feet from the start of the trail I observed in front of me what can only be described as "The Winding Staircase Of Death." Mother nature has intricately carved several narrow, steep, curving steps out of exposed tree roots and rocks. At 16 feet from the start of the trail - this was my left elbow. Sure it doesn't look that bad in the picture, that's not the point. I was only 20 feet from the start of the trail!!!!!!

Of course Jon gracefully navigated "The Winding Staircase Of Death" with ease so he was oblivious that I was down. Out of pride stubbornness, I tried my hardest to keep it that way. The blood seeping from my elbow pretty much gave it away. It was "just a flesh wound" so we kept on riding.
Luckily, that was the worst part of that particular trail. The rest wasn't easy by any means but wasn't as evil as the first 15 feet... and quite fun I have to admit. Usually when I cycle, my mind is on how many pitiful miles my little odometer is recording. One good thing about mountain biking is that I was so focused on trying to stay alive, I didn't worry about the stupid odometer.

1 comment:
Wow,what a ride!
Once my husband brought me to a ski hill in the summer where we went up a chirlift with our bikes tied to the back and then rode down the hill. It took him about 45 minutes and it took me 2 and a half hours.
Post a Comment